It is one of the most beautiful temples of religious Azorean architecture. The Church of St. Peter is situated on the top of a small hill of the same name. This octagonal Baroque construction dates from the 18th century and several elements of this period can be seen, such as the entrance porch with columns or the main altar of gilded carving.
The church has a single nave, the walls and the ceiling are painted as to imitate. In the Sacristy, next to the large chest for paraments, there are panels with paintings of the 18th century. Dom Pedro, king and emperor of Portugal and Brazil, while visiting this island in 1832, attended Mass there.